Sunday, February 1, 2015

Mo laethanta saoire aisling (My dream vacation)

For as long as I can remember, it has been a great dream of mine to visit Ireland.  Actually, I am intrigued by the whole of the British Isles; but my Nana and Pop were from Ireland and I have family there so Ireland is the jewel in the crown for me.  You may think, "Ireland is not so far off or out of reach, why doesn't she just go?"  Well, things always seem to get in the way;  It's too expensive, I can't get the time off from work, I'm pregnant, I'm no longer pregnant but I now have five children who won't just watch themselves while I gallivant off for a few weeks, sigh...


Nevertheless, I will realize this dream, by hook or by crook...it's just a matter of time.  The dream is to, first, get over there (the biggest hurdle).  Next, get a rental car so I can come and go at my leisure - a little scared, really, over the thought of driving but I survived driving on the opposite side of the road when I was in Jamaica so I suppose I will be OK.  I plan to spend a lot of my time in County Kerry because that is where my family is.  I am anxious to visit with my cousins on my Nana's side, they are genuinely warm and kind and they sent the sweetest gift for our baby when she was born - I'm hoping they can be persuaded to hit the pub for a pint or two!
My Nana.  In this picture she is at home, in NYC, but she is originally from Meenscovane, County Kerry, Ireland.

Next stop in Kerry, my Pop's house.  It's not what it once was but it is still standing and I would hate myself if I missed an opportunity to spend some time exploring there.
 
Pop's house.  Derrynafeena, County Kerry, Ireland

 Did I mention the pub?  Yes, I know I'm not as young as I used to be but I'm not as old as I could be either and I still love to have fun and laugh...how's that for justification?  So, that being said, I want to hit a pub here or there...just to chill out and enjoy the local flavor, pun intended :-).  I want to see some castles, I want to spend some time at the Cliffs of Moher and Galway and then head over to the Aran Islands (not sure which one exactly, but I'll figure it out), I may even want to kiss the Blarney Stone!  


My Pop (top, left) in NYC 1930's

So much to see, so much I don't know, so many treasures to discover, I can't wait till this dream comes true!
Picture my mom took in Galway in 2013.

2 comments: