Wednesday, February 11, 2015

A dream is a wish your heart makes....

Ahhhh that song, from Cinderella.  Funny story about that song...when I was 6 years old, I entered a talent contest, with my bff.  I was the singer and she was the dancer.  The catch was, I was singing the song at high speed...like an old 45 playing at LP speed on the record player. It made so much sense to us at the time, like it was a real talent.  Well, guess what?  We won!  At the time, I felt great, like cool, they really thought we were talented!  Of course, I now realize that they thought it was some sort of stand-up routine because they were clapping and laughing like it was the best thing they had ever seen.  It was a win-win though, we won the contest and they got free entertainment :-)

 
Music soothes the soul.  There is something so blissful about having the right music on at just the right time.  Think about it...the feeling you get when your favorite song comes on the radio, or when you are feeling blue and something comes on that relates to your situation and validates your feelings.  It transports you.  It's like the old Calgon commercial (yes I am dating myself here), "it takes you away".  It is therapy for me.  At the end of a hectic day, especially when the kids have driven me to the edge of insanity, I love to put my headphones on and listen to Beethoven or Dario Marianelli's Pride and Prejudice soundtrack...and presto!  Instant serenity!  Or how about those nights when you just need to make a quick run to the store - more likely than not, the item you are running out to get, can wait.  It's all about the drive, the song, the volume!  By the way, those are not "Beethoven drives".  Those drives range anywhere from Audioslave, to Radiohead, to Katy Perry, to Tupac....depending on what the situation calls for.  You've gotta love Pandora...if you don't know what this is and you can relate to anything I've said, then you owe it to yourself to download it.  Trust me on this.

We had to get all of the kids headphones for Christmas to protect our sanity.  At any given time you will hear music coming from different parts of the house which would be fine except for the fact that this is not a big house and with all of the music playing at once it just becomes a lot of noise.  The headphones solved the problem for the most part and comes with an awesome side effect...we get to hear them all singing.  It's very funny and makes for great blackmail if we can manage to catch it on video!  Seriously, one of the best parts of being a parent, messing with your kids :-)

My fiancee makes and produces music.  Right now it is his side gig, but one day soon that will change because he is doing some great things!  When he sits down in his studio (currently a small corner in our bedroom) it's like he's climbing into a sailboat and heading out to sea.  When his creative juices really start flowing, it's like the wind has caught his sails and suddenly he is miles and miles away.  It is great to see him enjoy himself and to hear how his music comes together but sometimes I have to call him back to shore. He is on the brink of greatness, and I hate to mess up his flow but every once in a while a girl needs her quality time :-).



No comments:

Post a Comment